IWA is required to review and report to the Premier on state government infrastructure proposals as per its requirements under the Infrastructure Western Australia Act 2019 (IWA Act).
- major infrastructure proposals with a value of $100 million or more
- infrastructure proposals prior to their submission to Infrastructure Australia
- completed infrastructure projects
Major Infrastructure Proposal Assessment
IWA is required to assess major infrastructure proposals with a capital cost of $100 million or more, consistent with its responsibilities under the IWA Act.
The Major Infrastructure Proposal Assessment (MIPA) function supports and aligns with existing government requirements such as Department of Treasury’s Strategic Asset Management Framework and Infrastructure Australia’s Assessment Framework, while providing relevant advice to the WA Government to support informed investment decisions.
IWA's governance role
Under its governing legislation, IWA is required to independently assess major infrastructure proposals prior to the WA Government making an investment decision, and provide its report to the Premier for consideration.
Consistent with the MIPA Interim Guidelines, IWA aims to engage with proponents informally and through project governance arrangements during the proposal development phase in an advisory capacity.
In cases where IWA is identified as a formal 'member' of a steering committee or other project governance body it will be in a non-voting advisory capacity only.
The Major Infrastructure Proposal Assessment: Interim Guidelines and frequently asked questions provide state agencies and government trading enterprises with guidance on how to navigate MIPA requirements and the assessment process.
The MIPA Interim Guidelines outline the full details of how proposals will be assessed by IWA, and the content requirements for submissions.
IWA is liaising with stakeholder agencies and government trading enterprises to refine the MIPA function and Guidelines. Updated Guidelines will be released in late 2023, with the intended expansion of MIPA to cover both projects and programs.
IWA invites anyone with questions or comments relating to MIPA function or Interim Guidelines to please contact us at email@example.com or 08 6552 5229.
Infrastructure proposal assessment reports
Below are reports prepared by Infrastructure WA in carrying out its legislative function to assess and report to the Premier on major infrastructure proposals.
- Geraldton Port Maximisation Project (February 2022)
- Lumsden Point General Cargo Facility and Logistics Hub Project (October 2022)
- Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development New Metropolitan Facility (November 2022)
- State Hockey Centre upgrade - DLGSC (March 2023)
- Battery Storage Energy Procurement Plan - Water Corporation (March 2023)
- Midland Public Hospital Expansion – MIPA Summary Assessment Report (January 2023)
- Bentley SurgiCentre Dept Health - MIPA Summary Assessment Report (March 2023)
- Graylands Hospital Redevelopment Dept Health MIPA Summary Assessment Report (March 2023)
- Renewable Wind Energy - Water Corporation - MIPA Summary Assessment Report (April 2023)
- Battery Energy Storage Systems- Synergy- MIPA Summary Assessment Report (June 2023)