12. Better inform future infrastructure climate change risks and adaptation requirements by implementing a statewide approach to climate change adaptation for infrastructure, including:
- expanding the Climate Science Initiative to require statewide coverage and update it regularly to incorporate new information
- requiring all state agencies and government trading enterprises to develop climate change adaptation plans to enhance the climate resilience of assets, operations and services under their control, including analysis of place-based climate change impacts, risk assessment of vulnerable assets and infrastructure requirements to increase resilience to potential climate change impacts for assets at risk, which are embedded in their strategic asset plans and business cases
- developing guidance that enables state agencies and government trading enterprises, in partnership with peak industry bodies, to progress the further development of sectoral adaptation actions
- requiring relevant state agencies and government trading enterprises, in partnership with the private sector, to develop sectoral adaptation plans for all relevant sectors that enable sectoral stakeholders and infrastructure asset owners to identify climate change risks and measures to adapt to current and future climate change impacts.
WA Government response
The WA Government responded to Foundation for a stronger tomorrow in February 2023. Recommendation 12 is fully supported. For further information please refer to the response document.
Vision – strategic opportunity
A global location of choice
Maximise regional strengths to unlock strategic opportunities for Western Australia
Enable environmental sustainability and resilience, and address climate change
Enhance cross-government coordination and planning