18. Contribute to infrastructure and community resilience in the urban environment and support the equitable provision of an interconnected network of cover by developing an overarching urban forest program, including:
- assigning a lead state agency to provide overarching coordination, resourcing and funding mechanisms
- embedding program evaluation to ensure it remains fit for purpose
- extending the existing Urban Canopy Grant Program to increase the urban tree canopy across the Perth and Peel regions, and other major regional urban centres
- partnering with local governments, community groups and other land managers in the rollout
- further reviewing existing planning policy settings with regards to the treatment of trees in new greenfield and infill developments.
WA Government response
The WA Government responded to Foundation for a stronger tomorrow in February 2023. Recommendation 18 is partially supported. For further information please refer to the response document.
Vision – strategic opportunity
A global location of choice
Enable environmental sustainability and resilience, and address climate change
Enhance cross-government coordination and planning