4. Ensure optimal operation and security of infrastructure by developing digital capabilities within state agencies and government trading enterprises, including:
- prioritising development of state privacy and information-sharing legislation that addresses the need to protect information and leverage value from the state’s information and data and, where practicable, aligns with existing Australian privacy laws to enable streamlined information sharing
- establishing a whole of government digital platform that enables the sharing of location-based asset information
- developing a WA Government data management and asset information policy that would include processes and appropriate standards to enable data sharing and analysis that supports improved planning and delivery of new infrastructure and better management of existing assets and embed these in government procurement processes, where applicable
- assigning a centralised lead state agency that is responsible for developing and retaining data science capabilities within government, including developing a comprehensive workforce strategy.
WA Government response
The WA Government responded to Foundation for a stronger tomorrow in February 2023. Recommendation 4 is fully supported. For further information please refer to the response document.