7. Ensure infrastructure investment delivers tangible benefits to Aboriginal businesses and people by strengthening application of the WA Government’s Aboriginal Procurement Policy, including:
- establishing targets that also consider contract value
- providing updated guidance and education, including unconscious bias training, for procurement and other relevant public sector officers involved in procurement decision-making to support Aboriginal business contracting
- implementing mechanisms to mandate application of the policy by government trading enterprises
- setting new incremental procurement stretch targets (over and above current overall performance levels) in the policy over time.
WA Government response
The WA Government responded to Foundation for a stronger tomorrow in February 2023. Recommendation 7 is not supported. For further information please refer to the response document.