78. Reduce demand on hospitals by increasing investment in community-based services, including:
- rebalancing and accelerating investment towards community-based mental health services and facilities, such as supported accommodation, and integrating mental health services into hospitals to address inpatient capacity shortfalls
- working with the Australian Government to prioritise and expand the role of primary health care in providing more integrated, community-based health services that leverage capacity and support early intervention
- working with the Australian Government to investigate and invest in innovative models of community-based primary health services and facilities, such as urgent-care clinics and co-located primary and allied healthcare hubs
- expanding application of digital technologies, such as telehealth and remote inpatient monitoring, to improve health services’ quality and accessibility across WA.
WA Government response
The WA Government responded to Foundation for a stronger tomorrow in February 2023. Recommendation 78 is fully supported. For further information please refer to the response document.
Vision – strategic opportunity
A global location of choice
Support population growth and change
Enhance cross-government coordination and planning
Embrace technology, data and digital connectivity
Get the most from our infrastructure and improve maintenance