Estimated resident population: 61,351
Gross regional product: $4.1 billion
- Agriculture and food
- Road, rail and port access
- Support agriculture and food, value-adding and supply chain efficiency
- Address gaps in social services and infrastructure, including health, education, training and housing
- Support increased water and wastewater network capacity to improve water security
While the Great Southern region is distinct, consultation highlighted that many regions face shared challenges and opportunities that need to be addressed to achieve the Strategy’s vision. As such, the majority of the Strategy’s 93 recommendations apply to the Great Southern and other regions. It is expected that the unique circumstances of each region are taken into account when implementing recommendations.
* Adapted from Australian Bureau of Statistics, Regional population: 2019–20 financial year; Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation, Western Australia economic profile – May 2021.