Estimated resident population: 62,841
Gross regional product: $57.3 billion
- Globally significant resources sector and largest regional economy
- Solar resource
- Significant Aboriginal population, culture and heritage
- Support resources value-adding, productivity and innovation
- Support renewable energy and hydrogen industry
- Support and advance Aboriginal enterprise and improve the liveability of remote Aboriginal communities and town-based reserves
While the Pilbara region is distinct, consultation highlighted that many regions face shared challenges and opportunities that need to be addressed to achieve the Strategy’s vision. As such, the majority of the Strategy’s 93 recommendations apply to the Pilbara and other regions. It is expected that the unique circumstances of each region are taken into account when implementing recommendations.
* Adapted from Australian Bureau of Statistics, Regional population: 2019–20 financial year; Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation, Western Australia economic profile – May 2021.