Estimated resident population: 181,801
Gross regional product: $14.9 billion
- Agriculture and food
- Integrated road and rail freight network
- Proximity to Perth
- Support interstate and international tourism, and the South West as a world class tourism precinct
- Support agriculture and food, value adding, and innovation and advanced manufacturing
- Support population growth, Greater Bunbury as a major population centre, and Bunbury Faster Rail investigations and planning
While the South West region is distinct, consultation highlighted that many regions face shared challenges and opportunities that need to be addressed to achieve the Strategy’s vision. As such, the majority of the Strategy’s 93 recommendations apply to the South West and other regions. It is expected that the unique circumstances of each region are taken into account when implementing recommendations.
* Adapted from Australian Bureau of Statistics, Regional population: 2019–20 financial year; Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation, Western Australia economic profile – May 2021.